Get on your bike
The Scottish Borders boasts some of the best cycling routes in the UK, making the The Tontine Hotel a great base from which to plan your next cycling break. Venture out and explore our many popular routes.
Cycling facilities at the Tontine
As part of your cycling break stay with us, you’ll also benefit from facilities including:
- Secure bike storage
- Bike drying room
- Bike wash facilities
- Maintenance rack for bikes
With such peace of mind, you just need to plan your cycling day out!
We are super lucky to have an excellent bike hire and bike repair shop in Peebles called BSpoke Cycles. Pippa and Nick Tanner, the owners of BSpoke Cycles are truly passionate about cycling and regularly go the extra mile to ensure that all customers are delighted with their bikes, both purchased and hired.
Easy Cycling Routes
For a gentle afternoon exploring the local area around Peebles, we’d recommend trying out:
- Cademuir Circuit: A 7.5 mile cycle with very little climbing involved. A fairly low level cycle which takes you around Cademuir Hill to the south of Peebles.
- Peebles to Traquair House: A slightly longer 13 miles cycling route, following the river tweed Traquair House route.
- Peebles to Manor Valley: A 20-mile cycle out in the open countryside, offering some lovely views of the Tweed Valley.
Along the way, take a break in the form of a picnic lunch, and give yourself a chance to appreciate the picturesque views that surround you. Or maybe stop off in town for a little shopping, tea, and cake – after all that cycling it’s a guiltless indulgence.
Challenging Cycling Routes
If you fancy a route that’s a little more challenging try out:
- Meggett & Talla Cycle: A 53-mile route with a steep climb up to the Megget Reservoir. We can assure you, the challenge is worthwhile for the view. Or, for something even tougher, try
- The Border Loop: A 250-mile circular cycling route that passes castles, historic abbeys, and beautiful country houses it’s the perfect way to experience this corner of Scotland.
Do come and have a chat with our team at reception who can help you to select the perfect route for you as part of your cycling break.