Here at the Tontine we are committed to doing as much as we can to help protect our beautiful environment. In 2008 we were awarded a Silver award under the Green Tourism Business Scheme.
We protect our environment
We have a Green Team in the hotel that is managed by Kate Innes. The Green Team has a member of staff from each department who are dedicated to working on environmental issues & policies to ensure that we are as ‘sustainable’ as possible.
Here are some of the areas we are working on & improving upon:
• Using local suppliers and organic produce throughout the hotel
• Promoting local businesses & providing details of local walks
• Installation of efficient loft insulation
• Greener travel information
• Green meetings
• Encouraging staff to walk, cycle & car share when coming to work
• Oil recycled
• Recycling as much as possible – paper, cardboard, plastics, glass, metal, bulbs & batteries
• Reducing paper usage via emails & recycling of printer cartridges
• Changing to energy saving bulbs wherever possible
• Installing PIR sensors in corridors and toilets to reduce energy usage
• Encouraging wildlife within the grounds with use of bird and bat boxes
• Energy use monitored
• Water use reduced by using flow restrictors on taps
• Supporting local charities and organisations
As a guest here at the Tontine we hope that you too would take a little time to think about the environment during your stay, perhaps by turning off the lights in your rooms when possible, travelling by bike or bus, or by visiting local attractions & supporting the local area.
If you would like to any further information please speak to reception who will be happy to answer any questions you may have.